Skincare and Cannabis
5.6 million Canadians are afflicted with acne, 90% of the cases affecting adolescents. Adults can also suffer from flare-ups, but either way, your environment, diet, and lifestyle have more to do with it than you might think.
It is thought that smoking cigarettes and suffering from acne are correlated. Now that it is more common for Canadians to include cannabis in their lifestyle, the question of whether smoking weed causes acne is increasing.
CBD is currently considered to be a topical treatment for acne, as it has anti-inflammatory properties and interacts with pain receptors. There is, however, no concrete proof that smoking marijuana can dry out your skin or lead to acne and other skincare concerns.
The Causes of Acne
This irritating skin condition which results in various kinds of blemishes has several causes. They are:
- For some people, dairy products, or processed and “junk” foods
- Poor skin hygiene or steroid use
- Hormonal imbalance
- Tobacco smoking
- Lifestyle: Poor nutrition and lack of sleep
- Oily products that come into contact with the skin
- Bacteria that come into contact with the skin
- High androgen levels
- High concentrations of serum testosterone
- Pore clogging, many times caused by cosmetics
These are the most likely causes of acne. Specifically, acne occurs when too much sebum (an oil), is produced and, along with dead skin, clogs pores, trapping bacteria, causing swelling and inflammation.
So, if you buy edibles online in Canada, it is likely that the reason for your acne doesn’t involve cannabis, but other factors.
Can Weed Cause Acne, or Worsen It?
Although there is no solid evidence that points to marijuana use causing acne, there are some potential reasons why it is possible.
- Hormones: Both males and females have testosterone. Cannabis use can raise testosterone levels and make acne worse in young adults.
- Appetite: Cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system, which controls appetite. Cannabinoids also affect the limbic forebrain which affects food palatability, stimulating pleasure when we eat.
- 2nd Hand Smoke: As with tobacco smoke, exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke can affect the functioning of sebaceous glands, causing hair follicles to become trapped in the oil.
- Anxiety: Stress and anxiety are significant contributing factors to acne. Sometimes, depending on the individual, daily weed smoking can cause you to feel anxious. It is not uncommon for Indica stains to induce feelings of anxiety.
Does weed make it worse? Given the effects of cannabis on our behaviour and hormonal conditions, it follows that our skin can be affected by those conditions. Smoking weed might worsen the effects of acne since smoking weed can affect hormonal and mood balances.
Ways to Avoid an Acne Reaction to Cannabis
There are several ways to avoid an acne flareup that may occur either because of cannabis consumption or because of other causes.
- Drink Water: Water is a great way to dilute your intake, and so is important for maintaining clear skin. Six to eight glasses per day are not only good for your body, but it also helps you avoid dry mouth. Being thirsty is an indicator that you are thirsty and so you should drink water.
- Avoid Over-eating: It is easy to over-eat, especially if the enhanced sensory experience is pleasurable. If you pay attention to your amounts, the type of food you consume, and limit your intake of oily foods, you have a better chance of controlling an acne outbreak.
- Exercise: Exercise is a good way to ensure that your skin is getting plenty of blood flow, delivering nutrients and oxygen for new skin cells. This way, there is less likelihood of your pores becoming clogged with oil and trapped tissue.
Let Ganjagrams Be Your Guide and Your Source
When you buy weed from our online dispensary in Vancouver and all over Canada, like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Victoria, Quebec, Regina, Calgary, and more, we make sure you have both eyes open. We are there for you every step of the way, with helpful information and guidance. Contact Ganjagrams and find out about how easily and safely it is to get top-quality cannabis products delivered to your door.